COMO SHAMBHALA’S WHOLEWHEAT WAFFLES WITH FRESH BANANA, STRAWBERRIES, WALNUTS AND MINT

Imagine a waffle you can eat with NO guilt! These are the angels of waffles, straight from Bali, light and floaty and fulsome, perfect for after a long afternoon walk with the dogs, or as a high tea sensation with your children. The strawberries cooked in maple syrup are something you should retain as a recipe in their own right – poured over Greek yoghurt they would make a fantastic pudding. And as for the banana cashew sauce – this has been a revelation – so thick and creamy, just so lush, and made with tofu – who’d have thought it? Totally worth investing in a waffle maker for. Buy it here. Just don’t let it go dusty in the back of the cupboard.

Yield:

About six waffles – you spread the mixture surprisingly thinly on the machine.

Level:

Fiddly but worth it.

Ingredients For Waffle Dough

  • 2 eggs
  • 1½ cups of wholewheat flour
  • 1/2 cup of soy milk
  • 1 tablespoon of baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
  • 225g natural yoghurt
  • 1/2 cup of oats
  • 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 medium ripe banana

Ingredients for the Banana Cashew Nut Sauce:

  • 1 ripe banana
  • 125g silken tofu
  • 50g raw cashew nuts
  • 1½ tablespoon honey

Ingredients for Waffle Garnish

  • Around 8 fresh strawberries
  • 2 ripe bananas, cut into halves and sliced lengthways
  • Handful of walnuts
  • Handful of baby mint leaves
  • 1 tablespoon banana cashew nut sauce
  • Strawberries candied in maple syrup (see method)
If you live in the UK, pop the ingredients you need straight into your trolley.
Buy online at your favourite supermarket...

Method:

  1. Make the candied strawberries and banana sauce first. For the strawberries place around 12 whole strawberries cut into halves in 100ml of maple syrup and heat slowly in a pan until soft. For the banana cashew sauce blend all the ingredients together until smooth and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
  2. Next, the waffles. Simply mix all the ingredients together and whisk well, then cook as per the instructions on your waffle iron.
  3. To serve place the waffle pieces on a plate add two slices of raw banana, the fresh strawberries and the warmed strawberries with the maple syrup on top. Spoon a little of the banana and cashew nut sauce over the dish, finishing with a scatter of fresh baby mint leaves and toasted walnuts.

Nutritional Value: UPLIFTING

You might have heard of the 80/20 food rule. Eat 80% of the time to nourish your body, indulge with whatever you like for the remaining 20%. Well, this recipe is definitely one which will nourish the soul of your inner child. Ohh the smell of the waffles cooking away and the sight of those luscious candied strawberries! However, here at Spa.Kitchen we still try to make sure that all the good work you do 80% of the time doesn’t get completely compromised. So, even in this recipe every attempt is made to minimize fattening glycemic spikes that upset metabolism by instead balancing the protein to carbohydrate ratio. This recipe features naturally occurring sugars like those in ripe bananas, maple syrup and honey, whilst unrefined whole-wheat flour and oats replace plain white flour that normally has a much higher glycemic index. A good amount of protein is provided by the natural yoghurt in the dough, and the tofu and cashew nuts in the sauce. The garnish is still wonderfully rich in antioxidants thanks to the fresh strawberries. Plus the chopped walnuts don’t just add crunchiness but also those precious omega 3 essential fatty acids – there is always a good reason to top these up in your diet.  All in all, this is a dish to enjoy as a treat. Go on, it’s so much fun to fall off the wagon every now and then!

THE SOURCE — COMO SHAMBHALA, BALI
Print This Article
FILED UNDER: uplifting, waffles