A beautifully easy soup which doesn’t even require cooking, though you do need a decent blender (this is a dream for the vitamix owner). Packed with vitamins and minerals, good fats and anti-oxidants, this is a perfectly light summer soup. Don’t skip the avocado crush, it heightens the whole dish and makes it feel like a real meal. Don’t have any seaweed? Little matter – the green goodness shines through.
Yield:Makes Four Portions
- 1 small onion sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 11/2 (60g) cups of spinach
- 7 cups (250g) of watercress
- 2 firmly packed cups (55g) of basil
- 2 firmly packed cups (40g) of flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup (250ml) of coconut water
- sea salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoons of raw honey
- Scant 1/4 cup or 50ml of lemon juice
- 2 ripe avocados, cut in half and stoned
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and strained
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup of avacado crush
- 1/4 cup (20g) of soaked seaweed
- 1/4 cup of watercress leaves
- To make the ‘Green Goddess’ soup, place the onion, garlic, spinach, watercress, herbs and coconut water in a blender and blend until smooth. Season with sea salt and a grind of white pepper, then add the honey and lemon juice (if the soup is being made ahead of time, store in a fridge without adding the lemon juice until the time of serving). Blend to combine.
- For the avocado crush, scoop the avocado out of its skin. Place in a bowl and, using a whisk, mash the avocado with the other ingredients until the texture is almost smooth. Transfer to a clean bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate.
- To serve, pour the soup into chilled bowls. Top with a quenelle of avocado crush and scatter with seaweed and watercress leaves.