Olive oil makes up a large part of Tuscany cuisine used in a multitude of ways including sweet dishes. Use good quality organic ingredients for this recipe to make your own gelato at home.
- ¾-1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup cream
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 fresh figs
- 20 almonds
- Place milk, cream, salt, and ½ cup sugar into a bowl and stir on a low heat until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, add egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of sugar, whisk until blended then gently add this to the milk mixture.
- Blend the two mixtures before straining through a sieve; add the olive oil. Place the final mixture into an ice-cream maker to set.
- Skin the figs and caramelise with 2 tablespoons of sugar on a low heat.
- Chop the almonds finely and roast.
- To serve, scoop olive oil gelato into a bowl and place caramelised figs on top. Season with crushed almonds, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
THE SOURCE — Borgo Santo Pietro (www.borgosantopietro.com)
© 2018 SPA.Kitchen, All Rights Reserved.