Chicken is one of the best sources of lean protein and a healthy alternative to red meat. It is nutritionally rich but contains no carbohydrate and has little fat when eaten without skin. The health-imparting benefits of chicken are many. It contains Vitamin B, which gives energy, zinc which is good for the immune system and iron which carries oxygen through the blood.
Yogurt is a good source of calcium especially for lactose-intolerant sufferers who would otherwise have been deprived of this very important nutrient. A fermented milk, which encourage the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut, yogurt makes a good digestive aid. Lactic acids found in yogurt promote good gum health.
The cucumber pickles not only whet the appetite, they aid digestion as cucumbers contain both fiber and naturally-occurring water. Taken together, they ease bowel release.
Yield:Makes Four Portions
Curry Chicken Ingredients:
- 250g chicken breast, deboned and skinned
- 50ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp palm sugar syrup
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbs of low fat yogurt
- Pinch of sea salt
Thai cucumber pickles
- 1 tbs water
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 chunk cucumber, sliced thinly
- 3 slices red chilli
- For the chicken curry: Marinate the chicken breasts overnight with the coconut milk, curry powder, palm sugar syrup and soy sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep bottomed non-stick pan until hot.
- Sear marinated chicken over high heat for 2 minutes to seal in juices. Turn the fire to low and let the chicken cook gently for 5 more minutes.
- Put browned chicken in a pre-heated oven and cook for another 5 minutes at 250°C or until cooked.
- Cool and cut into small pieces.
- Good with steamed broccoli and carrots. Serve with condiments on the side.
- For the garlic yoghurt: Peel and crush the garlic using back of a cleaver. Mash it into a soft pulp.
- Stir the mashed garlic into yogurt until completely absorbed. Season with salt.
- For the Thai cucumber pickles: Mix water, white vinegar and sugar together. Season with salt.
- Add cucumber and chilli to the vinegar solution.
- Allow the cucumber and chilli to pickle in the vinegar for about 30 minutes before serving.