Three super health foods, wholemeal flour, flaxseeds and oats make this a dream cookie. Wholemeal flour, which is unrefined flour, contains all the nutrients found in the bran, endosperm and germ of wheat, that is, the whole grain. The health benefits of eating whole grains are derived from all the different components working together to support a healthy constitution by reducing the risks of developing heart ailments, diabetes and certain cancers. Tiny in size, flaxseeds are a mega power-house of nutrients. They are the richest natural source of Omega-3 ALA, an unsaturated fatty acid, which the body cannot produce and is an important component of cell membrane. Flaxseeds also contain 800 times more active lignans than other plant sources. Lignan is a plant estrogen that may reduce the risk of hormone-sensitive cancers such as in the breast and prostate. Oats are the nemesis of poor cholesterol health. The grain’s high fibre content removes cholesterol from the digestive system that would otherwise end up in the blood stream.
- 100g wholemeal flour, sifted
- 50g ground flaxseeds
- 150g oats
- 30g toasted coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup honey
- 1½ cups ground cashew nut
- 1tsp natural vanilla extract
- 2tbs peanut butter
- 4tbs coconut oil
- Combine all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Stir in coconut oil last to bind the ingredients.
- Using both hands knead the mixture to pack them tightly.
- Shape mixture into small round balls.
- Flatten each ball with a rolling pin into a round shape.
- Place the cookies on a greased baking tray.
- Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven at 120°C for 12-15 minutes.