A bun-free, grain-free burger using portabello mushrooms as buns with a vegan option. There are a lot of steps, but trust me, it’ll be worth it.
Ingredients for Burger
- 6 large Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 large Buffalo Tomatoes
- 1 large Aubergine
- 2 Peppers
- 1 Red Onion
Ingredients for Aubergine Coating
- 2 small handfuls of Walnuts
- 3 heaped tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 small handful of Flaxseeds
- The liquid from a can of chickpeas or 1 beaten egg
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Fries
- 3 Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients for Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup of Cashews
- 2 tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Salt and Pepper
- Juice of 1 Lemon
Ingredients for the Coleslaw
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Ingredients for Faux Mayonnaise for Coleslaw
- 1 handful of soaked Cashews
- 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 dribble of Honey
- Salt and Pepper
- Sprinkle a large amount of sea salt on thumb width thick slices of aubergine in a bowel, ensuring they are all covered in salt.
- Leave for 30 mintues and then rinse thoroughly under the tap, rinsing both sides and ensuring the salt is all washed off.
- Now for the crumb: Take the walnuts, flaxseeds and nutritional yeast and add a pinch of salt and a few good pinches of black pepper. Blend in a mixer until they are a fine crumb.
- Next, brush the aubergine with a very light coating of the liquid from a can of chickpeas (or beaten egg if not vegan) and dip into the crumb, coating thoroughly.
- Place in the oven on a grease proof paper and bake for 20-30 mintues gently turning once.
- Place the peppers in the oven and roast until cooked and the skins peel off easily. Peel off the skins and cut lengthways into thick strips.
- Gently fry the whole mushroom minus the stalk in a little coconut oil or butter.
- Spiralise the courgette and then compress firmly and push down into a round cookie cutter on a frying pan with a light brush of coconut oil, or butter in the pan.
- Cook it for around 5 minutes moving around slightly to enure it doens't stick (use oven gloves as the cookie cutter will be very hot).
- Compress the courgette a bit more, gently this time and then turn the cookie cutter over and cook the other side. Both sides should be cooked until lightly browned.
- LAYER THE BURGER: Start with the aubergine which should be the biggest.
- Next, layer a thick slice of tomato which should be slightly smaller, then the courgette burger which should be slightly smaller again. Take from the pan whilst still in the cookie cutter (use a spatula).
- Place a strip of pepper over the courgette, then a slice of onion and finally the mushroom.
- COLESLAW: Thinly slice the ingredients and crush the walnuts.
- Blend the faux mayonnaise ingredients at high speed in a blender and add enough water to get to a light creamy consistency.
- SWEET POTATO FRIES: Cut into strips to desired thickness. Make sure they are really dry (use kitchen paper to soak up excess moisture).
- Cover with salt and pepper and oven bake until golden, turning occasionally.
- CHEESE SAUCE: Add ingredients to food pricessor, turn on and slowly add water until you have a nice thick, creamy consistency.