Yield:Makes one portion
- 25g pigeon peas
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp garlic
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp fresh coriander
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ red chilli powder
- 1 tbs ghee
- ½ tsp salt
- Rinse the pigeon peas and soak for 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dal in 2 cups of water with salt and 1 tsp of turmeric powder until done.
- In a frying pan, heat the ghee and temper it with the cumin seed.
- When the cumin seed starts to crackle, stir and add chopped onions. Fry on a medium heat until the onions turns pinkish in colour. Add garlic, ginger and green chili and cook until brown burnt in colour.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a further few minutes until the tomatoes are a little soft.
- Now add the coriander powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, adding a little water to it to ensure that the mixture doesn't get burnt.
- Next add the cooked dal and mix well. Add a little more water to bring it to the desired consistency. Bring to the boil and simmer at least for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the dal into a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves and a slice of lemon.
THE SOURCE — Devigarh (www.raasdevigarh.com)
© 2018 SPA.Kitchen, All Rights Reserved.