Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free, Vegan, Nut Free
As Vicki so rightly says: “this is your garden in a glass!” And it’s a garden in full bloom – deeply nourishing and amazing for your immunity and digestion. The overall taste is smooth, creamy and gentle, yet potent. If you are new to green smoothies, go steady with the chlorella powder, though you’ll swiftly get used to it. Adapt this recipe as you like, adding ice, a little honey, a nub of ginger as your taste buds dictate.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE: CLEANSING
Green smoothies provide you with a lasting source of energy, they are low in calories, despite keeping you full for a long time, and they are a great way to pack in a considerable amount of veggies without even realising it. Because they are so easy to digest, you can be sure that every single bit of goodness will replenish your entire body. Vicki’s recipe contains ultra-nutritious ingredients, guaranteed to put a spring in your step. All the ingredients have been chosen for their nutrient density. The kale per calorie had more iron than beef and more calcium than milk, as well as being rich in folate, and antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin and carotenoids that protect your eye health. Kale, like most cruciferous vegetables, contains a large concentration of health-promoting sulfur compounds, essential for supporting liver detoxification. The avocado adds a wonderful creaminess to the drink thanks to its palatable healthy fats, whilst the cucumber and the coconut replenish the body with electrolytes. Chlorella comes into the mix just to further increase the liver cleansing properties of this nutritional powerhouse of a drink. How amazing that you can pack so much into a liquid meal.
“I’m too busy to chew. That’s why I blend all my meals into smoothies, and I make love as slowly as ice cream melts in the Sahara.”
– Jarod Kintz.
Yield:1 Big Breakfast Glass
- 1 large handful of Kale, hard spines removed, washed thoroughly
- ½ Avocado
- ½ medium Cucumber
- ½ tsp to 1 tsp Organic Burst Chlorella powder
- Juice of ½ Lime
- 1 handful Basil
- 250ml water or Coconut Water (for a sweeter taste)
- Optional - 1 tub Alfalfa Sprouts or Red Radish Sprouts or desiccated Coconut
- Pop into you blender (nutri-bullets are great and Vtamix is the grown up version). Blend until completely smooth and add more lime juice to take out the 'grassy' taste. Dress with a tiny pinch of fresh sprouts of your choice, or a sprinkling of desiccated coconut.