These little cakes are softened in syrup, making them a decadent treat. They’re great on their own or even better with yoghurt, cream or creme fraiche.
Yield:Makes several small cakes
- 120g Butter
- 2 cups White Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- ½ cup Caster Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Semolina
- 1 tablespoon ground Almonds
- 2 Eggs
- Blanched Almonds
Ingredients for the Syrup
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- Juice of half a Lemon
- Blend the sugar and butter in a bowl, adding 1 beaten egg with the flour, baking powder, semolina and ground almonds.
- Knead the mixture until it forms a smooth paste.
- Make small walnut sized balls of the mixture, using a little butter on your hands to prevent sticking.
- Place them on a greased baking sheet and slightly flatten the balls, then press a blanched almond into the centre of each one.
- Brush with a beaten egg yolk and bake at 180 degrees celsius for 25-30 minutes.
- *This next bit is optional, but the syrup does make the cake deliciously moist and sweet.
- To make the Syrup: bring the sugar and water to the boil, then simmer uncovered for 15 mintues.
- Add the lemon juice and allow to cool.
- Cut the cake into squares, pour over the syrup and refrigerate.