A melody of flavours and colours, this is a fresh mega-salad which delivers your five a day and more in one sitting. The mix of raw and roasted ingredients really works and everything is tied together beautifully by the tamari dressing which brings a salty and spicy mix with lots of punch and personality.
The different coloured vegetables each bring something different to the table in regards to nutrition and health benefits. For example, the orange in the sweet potato and carrots have a high content of carotenoids which are essential for healthy vision and supple skin. The peppers bring a powerful mix of vital nutrients such as Vitamin C, astaxanthin, lutein and lycopene. Cabbage is full of Vitamin K and anthocyanins that help mental function and concentration.
- 2 Little Gem Lettuce
- Half a pack of Mixed Leaves
- A fourth of Peppers - green, red and yellow
- A fourth of Cabbage - red and green (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 of Cucumber
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 2 Carrots
- A handful of Broccoli
- 2 Spring Onions
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Pumpkin Seeds
- ¼ cup of Olive Oil
- &frac13 cup of Tamari
- Juice of ½ a Lemon
- ½ clove of Garlic, grated
- 1 inch of Ginger, grated
- Sesame Seeds
- Starting with the dressing: Mix all ingredients along with the grated ginger and garlic. Top with sesame seeds and put to one side.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- In a roasting pan, chop and peel your carrots, sweet potato and broccoli. Dress with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place in the oven for roughly 20-30 mintues when they are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
- While they are roasting, prepare the rest of your vegetables and start building your salad bowl.
- Base your dish with Baby gem lettuce leaves, then the bag of mixed leaves. Arrange the thinly sliced cabbage, followed by the rest of the raw vegetables.
- Add the roasted veggies and top off the salad with pumpkin seeds and your Tamari Dressing.