Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan
“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.”
– Charles M. Schulz
The point of this delicious fridge bar is indulgence without guilt. We can assure you it’s a good enough reason to end any unhealthy love affair with shop bought treats. You can pinch a little piece to satisfy that need for a sweetness fix with your afternoon cup of tea. Vicki’s mother used to make it for her when she came home from boarding school. The good news is that you won’t feel sluggish afterwards. Instead, you should be feeling energised and satisfied so you won’t get to dinner feeling too ravenous. Be warned, it may barely last the first evening – it’s so yummy! It’s designed to be considered an indulgence, and so it should be. As Vicki says “a little of what you love, occasionally, does you so much good!”
NUTRITIONAL VALUE: UPLIFTING
Dried fruit and crunchy nuts is a combo that never fails to impress. The raisins and the dates provide natural sweetness plus chewy fibre. The protein and the fat content in the nuts slow down the uptake of sugar into the bloodstream, providing sustained energy levels. A touch of cinnamon is strategically positioned in the list of ingredients to further increase blood sugar control and improve insulin sensitivity. The cocoa powder is responsible for the moreish taste but also acts and a mood-booster, as it contains the substance phenethylamine, which is a neurotransmitter found in the brain that acts as a natural antidepressant. Finally, everything is congealed together by the wonderfully palatable coconut oil, a great source of MCTs (medium chain tryglicerides), well known for increasing energy expenditure, helping you burn more fat. Result!
Yield:14 mini bites, or 6 mega chunks
- 2 tbsp mixed Nuts including Almonds, Walnuts, Hazelnuts and Brazils crushed roughly in food processor
- 5 tbsp mixed Seeds (Chia, Flax, Pumpkin, Sesame, Sunflower etc)
- 3 tbsp Raisins
- 1 tbsp Goji Berries
- 1 handful of pitted Medjool Dates
- 4 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp grated Nutmeg
- Soak the medjool dates in hot water for an hour, and the goji berries in a separate bowl for ten minutes. Sieve both to remove excess water.
- Now mix together with all the nuts and seeds. Take out tablespoons of the mixture and put aside for the topping.
- Place the remaining mixture into a food processor and pulse a few times to make a coarse paste.
- Next, melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a low heat, and add to the mixture in the food processor. Add the spices and mix everything together to form a smooth, firm paste.
- Place the paste into a small cake tin that is lined with greaseproof paper, (about 10 inches in size), and press down firmly to completely fill the case. Dot the top with the reserved nuts and fruits and use a second piece of greaseproof paper over the top before pressing these down into the paste mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 3 hours until set firm. Slice into 12-14 mini-bites. Serve chilled before they start to melt.